Tuesday 12 January 2010

Snow Beginning To Thaw

The snow is starting to thaw and although it makes life a little easier the road out to Sutton Bank still has packed snow on it and by the gallops the snow is banked higher than the car on each side.

I collected staff from the top of Sutton Bank in the 4X4 as I knew they would have difficulty getting through, so my morning started with phone calls around the County to advise them that I would meet them.

There are a few brave delivery drivers who are getting through but on the whole they are not attempting to make the drive.

One of the girls did not make it in Violetta lives in a valley and had great difficulty on Friday when returning home and had to be rescued by a snow plough abandoning her car until the next morning.

The Home is still closed so I am unable to see my father until Thursday of this week, when it is supposed to open again. I found a huge orange in the house so sent that to him by special delivery as it is one of his favourites. Another of his favourites is Truffles I make these for him and thought you make like to share the recipe:

Rum Truffles

  1. Mix together stale cake crumbs (any - I used some fruit loaf and some chocolate cake I am not sure why these are not eaten they usually go quicker than I can say knife – there must have been something more special around!)
  2. Add a few ground almonds.
  3. Splash with some rum - and I mean splash don't pour it in and make a soggy mess.
  4. Make some chocolate butter icing again adding some rum.
  5. Mix lightly together.
  6. With hands in cold water mould into required size. If small then use sweet cases and for a bit bigger use bun cases.
  7. Top the finished truffles with melted chocolate and a bit or half a glace cherry or a nut - any thing you have to hand will do.
  8. Alternatively roll in vermicelli.
Mother used to make these and Father enjoys them although he will often say they need more rum!

Took the girls back to Sutton Bank last night and spent 20 minutes trying to dig one of the girls’ car out of the snow, I had to hail a passing snow plough to assist in the end.

This morning sees the snow melting further and no trips out to Sutton Bank this morning, although there are some flurries of snow, I think the worst is over for now!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Valley View Farm, Old Byland, Helmsley, York YO62 5LG
Tel. 01439 798221 or +441439 798221 mailto:sally@valleyviewfarm.com
View Valley View Farm Cottages location.